Sunday, September 12, 2010

Speech

I am performing an informational speech in my communications class next week. I have chosen the topic of suicide. Very bright and cheerful I know, but the teacher wants us to choose a topic we know something about, something we're interested in, something that we can make interesting to others. So, with that in mind, this is what I have chosen.


As you well know suicide is definitely a topic I know something about, being what researchers label "a suicide survivor". This is the term they give for friends and families left behind. I've learned a lot of things I didn't know before but nothing that really gave me an answer for Kyle which I suppose in the end, is what I was really looking for. I can only assume he was feeling some of the things that are on the laundry list of tell-tale signs. Perhaps if we had lived in the same town...I don't know.


Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death.


At least 90% of people who kill themselves have a diagnosable and TREATABLE psychiatric illness.


It is the 3rd leading cause of death among 15-24 year olds.


Some leading signs are:

Hopelessness
Rage, uncontrolled anger, seeking revenge
Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities, seemingly without thinking
Feeling trapped - like there's no way out
Increased alcohol or drug use
Withdrawing from friends, family and society
Anxiety, agitation, unable to sleep or sleeping all the time
Dramatic mood changes


One thing I learned that I didn't know is that a sudden mood change to happy can be a sign that someone is suicidal. In some instances the decision to kill themselves can make them happy because they finally see what they deem as "a way out."


If you are suicidal and need help, or know of someone who is showing these signs please call

1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK for help

One of the wonderful non-profit organizations for suicide prevention is "To Write Love on Her Arms." they have many wonderful t-shirts for sale available at http://www.twloha.com/




This is a real problem, you are not alone. Hope is real and help is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment